Sunday, August 14, 2011

Slow as a Snail

 

 I "run", by run I mean I walk the majority of the time and jog for a minute or two until my lungs burn as if they were on fire. I repeat this as often as possible and it is really discouraging to lose weight but still not be able to run. I want to be like those sweaty tank top and mysterious sun glass wearing men and women who run, without faltering. They go on and on as if it doesn't even phase them. It looks so simple and I want that, so desperately. I know I am in a much better state than just a few months ago but I still wish I could just..... go. 

 

Today while wasting away on the couch, (don't worry, I worked out before church)  I stumbled upon {The Ultimate Beginner's Running Program}! It was sent from above! I literally was sulking the whole time this morning while walking, pondering how I could fix this issue.

 

The program seems simple enough, work up to running for 30 minutes. Can you imagine!?  Below is the program. I am going to give it a go and let everyone know after a week or two. I know that it will help me work off more calories and thus helping me get to my goal faster. YAY! 

 

My only concern thus far is by the 4th month I will be in the middle of December which will be hard to run in the cold but......I guess I will just have to buy some cute hoodies to get me motivated....rough life. 

 

Has anyone tried a program like this? I know there are a couple of people that I know that are runners out there, let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

 

{Running plan: Month 1}

• Week 1: Run one minute; walk two minutes. Repeat 10 times. Gradually increase the time of your runs by one minute.


• By week 4: Run three minutes; walk one minute. Repeat 10 times.

{Running plan: Month 2}

• Week 5: Run three minutes; walk one minute. Repeat 10 times. Again, gradually increase running times.

• By week 8: Run seven minutes; walk one minute. Repeat four times.


{Running plan: Month 3}

• Week 9: Run seven minutes; walk one minute. Repeat four times. Gradually increase running times.

• By week 12: Run 11 minutes; walk one minute. Repeat three times.


{Running plan: Month 4}

• Week 13: Run 11 minutes; walk one minute. Repeat three times.

• By week 16: Run 20 minutes; walk two minutes. Repeat twice.

6 comments:

simply heidi said...

I like the couch to 5k program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Good for you for working it!

Shanna said...

That looks like a pretty good plan. From everyone I've talked to, they basically say the same thing...run for time, not distance and start out slow. It was also recommended to me, because I have a difficult time pacing myself on the open road to listen to music with a steady rythm...John Mayer was recommended buuut I don't know how you feel about him lol.

P.s. I love love love the snail pics!!!

Parkinson's said...

I feel the same way...I think I might have to start a program like this. We got a treadmill last year and it's been relaxing to much lately. Time to get that baby working and get our moneys worth.

Erin Lyman Wilson said...

John and I got a gym membership exactly for this reason! Well...and a few others. You're plan sounds lot better and a lot cheaper! Good luck!

Heather Leigh said...

Looks like a good plan, I have found a lot of running routines on www.prevention.com and www.fitnessmagazine.com that are fun, but it's good to switch it up every other week or so. I'm going to try this :) Thanks for sharing

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues running. I mean, jogging for a minute then walking.