Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chicken Gyros (dieters unite!)

I made this a couple of days ago and it is so easy and delightful. I found this recipe in my "Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook". It says it has 367 calories but my flat bread was only 100 calories so it might be a little bit less in calories than the original recipe. My favorite thing about this is the cucumber, it is such a delightful crunch and it is so refreshing. If anyone has any good diet recipes please let me know! I love trying new things. The more variety I have the better I do.

Recipe
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in stripes or chunks
1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
2 whole wheat gyro-style pitas
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

It may seem like a lot of ingredients but it is super simple. The only thing I didn't have was cucumber, yogurt and the bread.

In a large baggie combine lemon juice, oil and 1/2 teaspoon garlic, mustard and oregano. Add chicken. Seal bag and squish all ingredients around. It says the chicken needs to chill in the fridge for an hour but I only left it in there for about 30 minutes. Go ahead. Be a rebel.

While chicken is chillin like a villain (flash back to 1995) combine cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. This tastes so good! I was amazed how similar it was to restaurant gyro sauces.

After you are tired of waiting for the chicken to chill, drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skilled saute chicken for 7-8 minutes or until its not raw...dur. I left a little bit of the marinade in the skillet though....again I was a rebel. This made the chicken so juicy!

I took an extra step. I put the pita bread on tin foil and rubbed some olive oil, thyme and sea salt and placed it under the broiler until it was hot and crispy....yum!

Place chicken on bread then add onions and cucumber sauce. Eat and enjoy!!!

MMM! Look at all that dill and cucumbers!

3 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

I made those for the first time a few weeks ago. I have never really had greek food before but they were delicious!

Alicia said...

YAY! I'm excited to try these. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Jan DeGiulio said...

That looks yummy!